Monday, April 13, 2020

Innovative home quarantined ways adopted by my parents in hometown


PAN India lockdown has brought lot of changes in the lives of people, as all of us are trying innovative ways to keep up engaged than just lying on bed. No one can lie on bed for long time especially when people have led a busy life, parents are worst effected during this lockdown. Firstly they are concerned about their children who are in far off places and secondly they want to spend time productively than just being tuned to TV.

Due to lockdown my parents are unable to go out frequently as they used to go before, thanks to the imposition of travel restriction.  But my neighborhood is very helpful towards my parents, as a result of which I am able to spend my days peacefully here in Bangalore. My neighbors buy veggies, medicines or any other thing needed by my parents, a good neighborhood is always a boon.

This is the season for jackfruits in Kerala and with lockdown in place, people who have jackfruit trees are sharing the seasonal produce with their neighbors. My parents often get jackfruit from our neighbors but due to non-availability of fish they don’t prepare the traditional jackfruit recipe of the state. Even they can’t finish these jackfruits by themselves in one go and it can’t be preserved for long due to its perishable nature.

Then my parents decided to make jackfruit chips, as it has long shelf life if preserved properly and it consumes good amount of time to make it and it will keep them busy for a long time, especially during afternoon times. Most difficult part in the entire process is first to de seeding the fruit and then slicing them down uniformly. My dad is an expert in the entire, he doesn’t need anyone’s help, if required he can perform the task all by himself. But mom and I pitch in the de seeding process and the slowest amongst us in me, as I rarely do it and not used to the process but enjoy relishing upon the recipes.

These days whenever I call them they are usually busy preparing jackfruit chips and it serves as their evening snacks for tea, so they don’t buy snacks from shops now. My parents are the not the only one to make these chips but most elderly people in our neighborhood is doing the same now, few who have banana plantation are making banana chips too.

I am really happy for my parents and the neighborhood for the innovative way adopted by them to make jackfruit or banana chips at home during their quarantined period. Skills mastered by them during their youth days have come to their rescue at these testing times and important aspect of it is that, they are indoors most of the time, which is a great sigh of relief for me.

I have requested my parents to pack the chips safely for me till I meet them next as I love jackfruit chips, my all-time favorite snacks. I hope till the end of quarantine period they make good amount of chips for me and my friends.

No comments: