Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Is losing weight a mental thing?

If I ask to a question “ who wants to reduce weight?”  I think all of you will raise your hand, including me. We all want to look slim and fit. But it isn’t as easy as raising our hand, we have to work towards to it to achieve it.

The first thing most of us do in order to reduce weight is to either go on a crash diet or take gym membership. This enthusiasm doesn’t last for more than 2 weeks or max to max a month. After that we are back to our usual routine.

But, if we tame our mind we can cut down on our food and try to eat less, which can help us to shed little weight. You would be wondering how to tame our brain to control our hunger pangs. Its time taking process but if you follow it for a long time, till brain process this information. You will see the difference.

Let me explain it to you through an example

We usually tend to eat less at home but we are out for some party or a restaurant were all our favorite dishes are served, we can’t resist and tend to eat a lot. Problem begins from this stage only.

Before I moved to stay with my parents, I followed a strict 3 meal plan with an evening snack occasionally. But being at home, my diet plan changed and I put on lot of weight, which I realized which I was unable to get into my trousers.

So, I again went back to my previous plan which was little tough initially but over period of time, I was able to get my diet plan and control my hunger pangs.

After coming home, my dad used to get samosas or Vada's daily home at around 6.30 pm and I used to have either 2 Vada's or samosas followed by dinner, which resulted in weight gain. As brain got the message that my appetite has increased, it got comfortable with me eating more especially during evening times.

If you eat more in evening, then you tend to feel hungry in morning too. Hence, portion of breakfast also increased but lunch portion was the same.

So, I decided to control my diet again and send a new message to my brain, so that my desire to eat more is reduced.

First thing I decided to do was either have samosa for dinner or chapatis. In case I am having samosa, then I won’t have dinner on those days. Yes, I felt hungry at dinner time so I drank some water for a day or two and from the third day onwards, my hunger pangs decreased a bit and within week things were normal for me.

As a result of which I wasn’t feeling hungry for breakfast also. Now my appetite for both breakfast and dinner have reduced drastically and I am happy about it. And I made a point to continue with it.

On days when I have heavy lunch, I skip my dinner or have very light dinner. Reason, if I have dinner followed by a heavy lunch then again, brain will get a new message and I didn’t want that to happen again, which  I didn’t want to happen.

Try it, I am sure you will get a feel of it when you practice it for long time and stick to this regime that long.

No comments: